Wednesday, August 10, 2005

6 June 2005

A Comment Before We Begin: I'm seventeen. Don't expect much. If something seems out of context, that's because it is--these are just bits and pieces of what I wrote.

6 Jun
On the plane.
. . . Whereas this voyage must be pre-defined as a particular type of experience for reasons of comfort, sanity, and enjoyment,
And Whereas a mindset of creating a complete record is impossible and self-destructive,
And Whereas an identity as an artist must be fitted in there somewhere,
And Whereas Iowa is one week after our return,
And Whereas this is only this particular student’s first voyage overseas,
Be it here resolved that my purpose for a large portion of this three-week traveling will be to, as Mr. Jay Dukart put it, ‘Eat, sleep, see,’ as well as to be in constant awareness of my identity as a writer and the possibilities and privileges therein, namely
a. to see certain experiences through characters’ eyes
b. to attempt to recognize plot possibilities inherent in each/any experience, positive or otherwise
c. to record what I wish to, and only that
d. to write at every point that I have a chance
e. to write even when I do not wish to, or have the time, or the consent of my traveling companions
Amendment: this resolution may be dissolved at any point, as desires the undersigned, creator and subject of the resolution.

x Emily J. Garcia

No comments: